Best Hand Crank Coffee Grinder of 2019 – Review and Buyer’s Guide
Good things arrive after waiting and this goes pretty well for coffee grinders. For a perfect morning joe, you can rely on automated one, but manual ones will help you to get the perfect taste for sure. And there are numerous models to choose your best hand coffee grinders.
Although most of those are not very handy, some have convenient features. They can deliver the proper grinds to start your day with a delicious espresso or French press.
Among lots of choices, we have the perfect 10 in our best hand crank coffee grinder review that will meet your satisfaction and budget. Just scroll down to pick your favorite gear to start stamping fresh beans.
Top 10 Hand Crank Coffee Grinder - Comparison Table
Item Weight (Pounds)
6 x 4 x 8.5
16 x 11 x 13
1.8 x 7.5 x 1.8
7.3 x 4.5 x 3.2
2 x 2 x 7
6 x 2.3 x 1.8
1.9 x 7.6 x 1.9
7 x 4.1 x 3.5
8.2 x 3.5 x 8
8.3 x 6.8 x 11
The 10 Best Hand Crank Coffee Grinder of 2019 - Top Picks And Reviews
1. Handground Precision Manual Coffee Grinder
Allowing you to enjoy every single part of the grinding process, this best hand grinder comes with easy handling. You can overcome common grinding problems with this Hand Ground product without a doubt.
Solid aluminum construction with pakka wood knob compliment, it imparts natural and consistent motion. Built-in side mounted handle offers incredible portability and further machine stability.
The central axle of stainless steel is mounted on three side metal bushings for a stable mill driving. The overall geometry is fine-tuned delivering a balanced speed and handle rotating torque.
Selecting the perfect grind size is quite easy with the numbered ring for both espresso and French press. With a single step between each number, it results in a total of 15 settings for this hand crank coffee mill.
- Stable construction for metal frame.
- Incredible consistency in grinding size.
- Balanced grind speed and torque.
- Wider hopper ensures easy loading.
- Stiff driver assembly offers protection.
- Some parts are not dishwasher-safe.
- Non-removable attachment of handle.
2. Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill
Being designed for both general and commercial purposes, this Japanese product can meet the requirements. With a classic yet stylish appearance, this machine from Harlo provides best grinding service at once.
Through high-quality metal construction, it gives optimum grinding performance and consistency. Built-in handle made of sturdy material helps to attain your desired hand crank coffee having the satisfactory texture.
Featuring ceramic burrs of conical shape, this mill promises to give maximum precision for ground beans. It also helps to maintain a uniform grinding for all the loaded beans to deliver maximized designed fineness.
With non-slipping rubber base, this best hand driven coffee grinder remains in place while in use. The detachable handle provides a compact design with enhanced portability allowing you to carry without trouble.
- Outstanding appearance with glassware.
- Classic design with superior performance.
- Stable grinding through rubberized base.
- Uniform grinding with the ceramic burrs.
- Detachable handle maximizes portability.
- Poor quality clones require attention.
- Slight inconsistency may take place.
3. JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
Regardless of your requirement of fine espresso or coarse French press, you can have it manually. In fact, this JavePresse construction is capable of providing the most tasteful hand grind coffee.
Having a sturdy and convenient metal frame to grind the beans, you won’t have to worry about durability. The versatile design makes this hand-driven unit quite portable and easy to handle all the way.
With 18 different click settings, you will definitely have the right grind texture according to your necessity. Again, the patent-pending burrs of ceramic combo last incredibly longer than conventional steel burrs.
The included hand crank for this hand crank burr grinder offers maximum, uniform grinding efficiency. Being removable from the frame, you will enjoy the best portability with reduced grinding noise.
- Highly compact design imparts portability.
- Optimum fineness with customization.
- Hand crank lowers the grinding noise.
- Ceramic burr combo offers durability.
- Maximum grinding through consistency.
- 100% consistency is difficult to attain.
- Interior plastic axle may not last long.
4. Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill "Mini-Slim"
This is another versatile mill from our manual burr coffee grinder reviews that can meet your satisfaction. This Harlo production has the perfect assembly to give you freshly ground coffee at any time.
Through an outstanding slim & sleek profile for the framework, you will find it perfect for your kitchen. Of course, the durable body comes with sufficient strength to handle regular rigors.
Featuring ceramic burrs, it offers convenient grinding performance with reasonable consistency. It will get you a uniform and even ground beans for your coffee retaining the original taste.
The removable handle attached to the hand burr coffee grinder keeps the mill steady while operating. The overall assembly introduces an accessible mill allowing you to make easy clean-ups and storage.
- Sleek, sturdy frame ensures durability.
- Ceramic burrs encourage efficiency.
- Detachable handle for base stabilization.
- Uniform grinding of beans all along.
- Easy maintenance and storage facility.
- Plastic finishing may have glitches.
- Sticking of grinds is likely to occur.
5. Manual Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burr by Cozyna
With its unique construction & performance, you can get the perfect coffee with fresh grinds. You can have the original grinds for coffee with this Cozyna manual coffee mill.
Through the slender body made of stainless steel, you will have the maximized durability. The sleek design imparts superior strength without fading the original aroma or flavor.
Featuring grind size adjustment, you will receive the maximum control over grind fineness. The ceramic conical burrs and you will get the optimum texture for your desired ground beans.
Specific design considerations result in supreme portability for the best hand coffee grinder. You can take this particular mill with you as it fits into an Aeropress with ease.
- Durable framework with stainless steel.
- Incredible portability with lightweight body.
- Adjustment dials to set grinding size.
- Retention of actual bean flavor & aroma.
- Even grinding through the ceramic burr.
- Problems may occur with coarser grinds.
- Difficult to operate if grip strength is low.
6. Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder
With classic Japanese style & ergonomic construction, you will get fine grinds to prepare the perfect coffee. This hand mill coffee grinder from Porlex comes with a compact design to ensure portability.
The stainless steel framework imparts sufficient kitchen tolerance against common wears and tears. The sleek design keeps the static charges low enough to resist sticking of grinds inside the burr.
Through built-in customization, you can have a wider range to set the ceramic burr for different sizes. You can attain from fine powder for espresso to coarse grinds to make French Press.
Having 20-gram capacity for the 130-mm tall & 47-mm wide frame, this best manual coffee grinder comes with satisfaction. The reasonable capacity and shape give the best storage, carriage, and cleanup facility.
- Sturdy steel frame provides serviceability.
- Customization facility to adjust grind size.
- Ergonomic design encourages portability.
- Incredibly lightweight body to carriage.
- Ceramic burrs ensure uniform grinding.
- Grind-time requirement is quite high.
- Wrong handling deforms the socket.
7. Porlex Jp-30 Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder
Apart from some minor differences, this unit shares considerable similarities with the previous one. Being introduced by Porlex, this manual coffee bean grinder offers superior ease in handling.
Having a similar framework just like the former, it comes with commercial-grade steel construction. Therefore, reduced static grind build-up takes place ensuring best grind quality thanks to its durable finishing.
It features conical shaped ceramic burrs that help to attain the customized grind. Of course, you can adjust the grind size to have powder for espresso to coarser grind to prepare French press.
With an increased 178mm height, this best coffee gear comes with better bean holding a capacity of 30 grams. Through its compact and versatile design, you can go for indoor and outdoor applications.
- Superior steel frame with durability.
- Finishing withstands rust & corrosion.
- Increased capacity with larger hopper.
- Lower static build-up for ground beans.
- Precise grinding through ceramic burrs.
- Removable handle pops off easily.
- Light roasting of beans is difficult.
8. Hario Small Coffee Grinder
This convenient choice from our hand coffee grinder reviews can give fresh grinds for morning coffee. This Hario mill comes with a small size yet incredible efficiency to ensure better grinding.
Having a unique wooden body, it promises optimum serviceability in a new and stylish way. The wood provides almost no static build-ups for grinds and imparts better portability and user-friendly profile.
Although the body is of wood, there comes a steel handle allowing you to make quick grinding of beans. You can also attain sufficient torque to break down the coarser particles into finer ones.
Featuring ceramic burrs, it provides maximum grind accuracy for this best coffee hand grinder. With user-friendly assembly and interior design, you can go for clean-ups and storage with utmost comfort.
- Unique, sturdy wooden construction.
- Steel handle for efficient grinding.
- Incredible design induces portability.
- Ceramic burrs induce finer grinds.
- Easy cleaning and storage facility.
- Solid base stabilization is difficult.
- The collector may seem to be small.
9. Zassenhaus "Santiago" Mahogany Beech Wood Manual Coffee Mill
Providing a classic design with satisfactory grinding efficiency, you will get the utmost taste. This unique looking mill introduced by Zassenhaus can retain the actual bean flavor and aroma.
Having carbon steel construction, the conical burr withstands for years against common kitchen rigors. The outstanding mahogany finishing imparts great style and design for this best handheld grinder.
With fine-quality German craftsmanship, you will get the best grinds to make the coffee at once. Featuring infinite adjustments, it becomes easy to attain coarser grinds to super fine powder ones.
The built-in drawer for this best hand burr coffee grinder opens easily and no chance of powder scattering. With knurled knob, you can make easy adjustments in no time to get the desired output.
- High-quality, polished mahogany body.
- Sturdy steel burrs ensure durability.
- No heat generation lowers static build-ups.
- Convenient collecting drawer opens easily.
- Infinite adjustments for customization.
- Low capacity with smaller hopper.
- Turning the lever causes imbalance.
10. ROK Coffee Grinder
This machine has indeed the most unique mechanism to stamp the large beans into finer grinds every time. This mill introduced by ROK is capable of providing the perfect fineness to ensure the best hand coffee.
Featuring best-grade aluminum frame, it comes with sufficient durability and resistance to rigors. The metal body induces a great tackle to deliver consistent grinding along with superior base stability.
There comes stepped and step-less grinding facility and you just need to switch to trigger the preferred one. Also, the entire assembly provides a quieter operational facility than conventional electric grinders.
With non-slipping grip attachment at the bottom, you will experience almost no wobbling or sliding. Easy adjustments with removable sets offer the best service for this best portable coffee grinder.
- A unique mechanism for better grinding.
- Durable construction with aluminum.
- Compact design imparts portability.
- Non-slipping ring stabilizes the base.
- Alternate stepped & step-less operation.
- Beans may pop out of the hopper.
- Dry grinds cause static build-ups.
Factors to Consider When Buying Hand Crank Coffee Grinder
With the best portable hand grinder, you can have the natural grinds from beans with minimum effort. Therefore, you need to know some certain factors regarding the quality of good manual coffee grinder while buying one.
Robust and stiff frame with quality material can withstand your excursions and other kitchen rigors quite well. It is better to choose metal (aluminum/steel) or a wooden frame over the cheap or weak plastic framework.
For traveling or carriage purpose, you will need something lightweight. Therefore, hand crank generally have low weight and it will hold good if you try to avoid something heavy.
Grinding consistency has an important role regarding the time, quality and fineness of the grind. You have to ensure consistency as much as possible to get a precise grind with minimal effort.
For light applications, hand crank holds pretty well. If you want larger hopper, it may induce additional weight. So, depending on your requirement, you need to choose a mill with reasonable hopper capacity.
At least 10 grind settings make the grinder suitable for espresso to French press. Therefore, the more holds the better in this case without any second thought.
How to Maintain Hand Crank Coffee Grinder?
Cleaning a manual grinder is considerably easier than electric or automatic grinders. Here you will get a short but effective guideline to clean your hand cranked coffee grinder with ease.
Step 1: You need to remove the grinder top and hopper from the assembly.
Step 2: Now, remove all the connecting screws from the built-in bracket that holds the cutting burr in position.
Step 3: Use pliers to grab the interior shaft and give the handle a medium twist to separate all individual parts.
Step 4: Clean all the parts according to your preferred washing medium. Make sure to know which ones are dishwasher safe or not.
Step 5: Reverse the separating process and check the assembly for performance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question 11: How easy to operate with a weak hand?
Answer: For finer grind, you may need a stronger grip as it takes time to grind.
Question 2: Do the machines come with one-way turning?
Answer: Mostly the do; common ones require clockwise turning.
Question 3: Is it possible to go for Turkish brewing?
Answer: With hand cranked ones, no.
Question 4: Are there any plastic parts?
Answer: Yes, the bottom parts are mostly plastic.
Question 5: Can a grinder be used for nuts/herbs?
Answer: It depends, though it will take a long time.
Wrapping It up
Grinding the beans is indeed a time-consuming task that requires your effort and proper choice. It may seem a bit analogous when you can get a mill that will give grinds by itself.
Yet hand crank coffee grinders have wide acceptance as you can manipulate the grinding efficiency all by yourself, and they last quite long to keep you relaxed.
Each of our enlisted choices is the best hand crank coffee grinder with versatile construction, convenient design, user-friendly combination, and supreme performance.